Wednesday, December 18, 2019

meeting janaki mami my mothers mami

 An advantage of visiting your home town is you connect to so many relatives. Today in Haldwani  we visited an old aunt who is the Mamiji of my mother and we have also called her Mamiji only. Today she is 96 years old  and still looks so elegant and graceful. I have faint memories of her  fifty or more   years back where she was a very smart and stylish woman of her times and would visit us in Allahabad where Mamaji was also posted and I was a child studying in primary school. On meeting her, I was reminded of the Urdu Shayari, 

khandhar bata rahe hain imaarat buland thi.


Though weak now and eating very little food, she is able to walk a little, sit in bed and has a good memory. She enquired how I was and told me, I looked much better today than I looked last time when I visited her four years back. Wonderful meeting Indu Di, Gunu Di and Mukta di. Inspite of the biting cold weather  there is a lot of warmth in the relationship that we have and it is always fun visiting the hills.










No comments: