Sunday, April 18, 2021

Looking at my past with a coloured lens

Looking back at my past with a coloured lens. Yesterday my eldest son Sankalp gave me a wonderful gift on his birthday. He spent time and made some of my black and white pictures into colour and sent them to me. It reminded me of the film Mughle Azam being made from black and white into colour. Most of these photographs go back to more than forty years. My favourite photograph is from 1974 when I was given a gold medal and first prize by Mother Teresa at a function orgnised by Gandhi Bhawan in Allahabad University. I travelled with her for few days and had a long heart to heart conversations. Those days there were no mobiles and cameras were not easily accessible . It was later on that two photographs were published by a News paper and the gentleman was kind enough to send me a copy. These are my prized possessions today. In the first picture Mother Teresa is admiring my watch strap. Keeping with the fashion, God knows which one, I had got a black leather or raxine, most probably raxine piece and put my watch and it's tiny strap into this on my own and with this broad strap, I thought this was very fashionable. Mother Teresa was fascinated and wanted to know how I had made the strap. When she was asking various questions every one walking around was very fascinated. When I got married in 1979,those were the days of black and white photographs. Again another photograph of the late 1970's,is with my friend Anita Gopesh,, who is now a very well know writer of Hindi and a Professor of Zoology, if I am not mistaken at Allahabad University. Her father Prof. Gopesh taught us Russian and we were all mesmerised with his teaching, stories, anecdotes and his friendly behaviour.Oh, what fun his class would be. He was a real idol and one to whom we looked up. I do not have any picture with him but one with his daughter of those days. Thanks a lot Bittu. Indeed a wonderful gift and this will be my prized possessions. You made my day. Have a blessed birthday.










No comments: