Thursday, May 29, 2014

With Mother Teresa and others

When I was a student of the Undergraduate at Allahabad University the ,   Gandhi Bhawan had organised a n International Essay Competition. I won this and got a gold medal. This was given by mother Teresa and after this I got to spend three days with Mother Teresa. This was before she had received the noble prize. From Allahabad , in a car I traveled with Mother Teresa to Lucknow, Kanpur, Benares. The  Principal and  a Father from San Joseph some Father John Dsouza also accompanied us. I was very much touched by Mother Teresa and her concern for people. In our journey we visited many orphanages, schools, homes and in between in an orphanage  a couple was married and blessed by mother Teresa. We spent a lot of time chatting in the car and mother Teresa wrote on my scrap book her address and asked me to come to Calcutta.Those days photographs were so precious that I only have the ones which were published in different magazines and news papers.   I published an article in the daily Newspaper, Northern India Patrika on my trip with mother Teresa. She touched me so much that I came home and told my mother that I wanted to go and join her. Meeting her will always stand in my mind though later on in life I interacted with many other celebrities like Tony Blaire, Magret Alwa and Amol Palekar. Tony  Blaire and his wife came to   Hyderabad and wanted to meet some feminists  and we all met them amidst a lot of drama concerning security.  But  my prized moment was when I met my teenage Idol Amol Palekar in Poona for a seminar and could chat with him one a one to one basis.










 

No comments: