Wednesday, October 10, 2012

In a Conference with Amol Palekar




I had gone to a Conference in Poona University and I found that I was sharing the space with Amol Palekar. I was a great fan of his,. i think all our generation was. In the 70, and 80's he represented the common man and the boy next door. In this era when the hero's looked out of this world he has a charm of the ordinary man to whom one could relate. he was also involved in the theater and later on went to direct some women based films. Introduced by Basu Chatterjee in Rajanigandha, he went on to act in many of the films which we friends Renu, Niharika , Mohini and Ashima had enjoyed talking about and seeing together. Gol-Maal, Gharonda, Baaton Baaton Mein, Choti see Baat were our all time favourites. Renu was very fond of the dialogue which she would repaeta ad nauseum from Ghronda, I think it was some thing like this, Yaha log Kandha nahi dete hai marne ka intejar karte hai or some such thing.I asked him about his films like Admi Aurat and Kari which i would like to use in class but was disappointed to know that none of these were available in India and were found only in the USA. We also discussed Tarre jameen pe. It was a nice meeting which transported me back to my youth in Allhabad when we were not great movie buffs. We friends were more into reading and theater but definitely we were great fans of Amol Palekar and Shyam Benegal. I think I drove every one crazy by discussing Manthan so many times. I was so fascinated by this film. I am not sure how I would react to this now. Bhumika also impressed me a lot.

No comments: