Sunday, January 10, 2021

At Birkbeck, The University of London


I had received a fellowship to Birkbeck and hence visited the Birkbeck Institute at the University of London fronm 28th May, 2019. I met Rebecca Darley from the History Department who is organising my Program here. Suresh Gopati who has lived in London from ages and is from Hyderabad came to receive me at the airport and took us around London and was, very helpful in getting us familiarised with London. We all had lunch at a Chinese restaurant in Central London. With Suresh Gopati we could just go across the counter and get a SIM for my mobile and now I have a London mobile number. I could not help but think how cumbersome it is in India to get a SIM and we need an Adhar card, a pan card to get a new SIM.







I am coming to London after nevarly ten to twelve years but some how every thing looked the same. I could hardly find any crowds. I was not in the Tube during rush hours. In India our population increases so much in a decade that every town looks over crowded. I could recollect all the stations, Hounslow west, central, Hounslow East, Picadelli line, Russel Square. Travel in London is so easy and the public transport excellent. One does not have to depend on any one. This is a place so filled with history and I can really see all of this. I count London as one of my favorite tourist destinations.


























































No comments: