Friday, January 8, 2021

My Last day at work in the University

 Some how  one gets so caaried away in this daily business of life  that many things get left over. The same happened with my blog. Finally I decided that now in 2021, I am again going to get back to my blog and start writing it. I will catch up on many of my earlier writings which are there on Facebook for it was easy to post on Facebook. Many developments occured in 2020. First of all, I retired on 30th June, after an academic career of 40 years in three Universities, Allahabad University,  Maulana Azad national Urdu University and Hyderabad University. As I started packing my books and emptying my cuboards from 1984, th most destreesed people were my students and the office staff. Little did I imagine then that life will cone to a standstill in march due to the pandemic. Hence, the day, i retired it was a quiet day and the University was closed due to the lockdown. 

T










My, my, what a day, it was. The last day of my official duty and due to the pandemic, I thought, I will go quietly sign few papers and return home to get ready for the evening webinar at four. But, my students , Rizwan Ahmad,Pavithra Molugu, and Manu Jayas  had different plans. Pandemic or no pandemic, they were not going to let me have a quiet exit. I do not know, how the students manage to organise but they were able to get a cake, cold drinks some eatables and a big bouquet to the Centre for Women's studies. I really did not want them to waste their money but I knew there was no point telling them any thing for they will never listen to this. We had a grand party and I could see the history department also come and join. My Colleagues, Mnrajesh Mnrajesh Rajesh,Bhangya Bhukya,V.J. Varghese,, Anindita were all there. My students made me so emotional. I am so touched and, really it is moments like these that make me proud that I am a teacher and have been able to touch few lives.

No comments: