Thursday, May 30, 2019

My Office Room in University of London

My office room at the University of London. I had to take pictures so that I do not get lost. There is a wonderful tea and coffee room downstairs but each room is equipped with necessary infrastructure to make tea and coffee. Every room including the washrooms open with a code. I am getting to know the History of Birkbeck where I am attached and this was established in 1823, by George Birkbeck under the name of London Mechanics Institute. When the University of London was established in 1836,it became part of this but maintained its separate identity. I was informed by the office who prepared my identity and Library card and showed me the various facilities, that I am allowed to spend 300 pounds per month for inviting  other scholars and students  to have  beer   and wine or even a meal or two with me. I really wanted to ask if whisky is also allowed but kept quiet and told myself, I will get a clarification later on. Wow, why do we not have these kind of provisions  in the Indian Universities. Imagine faculty getting funds to treat their students to a glass of bear or whisky. Even the thought is  beyond me.

 




No comments: