Friday, April 26, 2019

Rajani Rao Palleti

 Today, 0n 26th April, 2019, I had a very interesting morning when I got a call from  Rajani Rao Palleti and she came to visit me in the University. Rajani was one of the  first Research assistant who was appointed in the Women's Studies Cell along with another girl Aruna,  back then  in  1984. We had no money but huge plans and a lot of ambitions and  enthusiasm. Thete were so many young faculty who were involved with the Cell, Santa Sinha, Pradipto Chowdhry, Marathe, Mithilesh, Aloka Sen, Minakshi Mukherjee, Kameshwari and myself. Rajani  had helped in organising few seminars and workshops that we conducted. She also coordinated the first Project that we did in the Cell on Creches in the  Organised and Unorganised sectors in Hyderabad.  It was a long journey down memory lane when she told me that back then we did not even have a proper room to sit and the room was so dark that we could not even see each others  face. This was the Cell that we had at Golden Threshold. She was very happy to see our own building and I told her this was all thanks to Malladi Subamma Garu who donated money for our building. Rajani has now migrated to the US. I felt very happy to be connected to a piece of our history as we struggled and developed the Cell into a Centre and hopefully into a Department in future.





No comments: