Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Second lecture HN Bahugubna University

 My second lecture in the Refresher course at HNB Garhwal University was on the Early environment movements in India and the role of women.There have been a number of environment movements in India but due to paucity of time I focused only on the two, The Bisnoi movement in Rajasthan and the Chipko Movement in Uttarakhand. Last year(2018), Lexington published a book, Narratives of environmental  Challenges  in Brazil and India-loosing nature, Ed by Zeila M. Bora and Murali Shiv Kumar and my paper on Environment movements in India, was published in this and I spoke primarily from this. As we bade our good byes and came down the mountains, again one cannot but be mesmerised with the Ganga flowing down the mountains. It reminded me of William Wordsworth poems on Daffodils, that even later when he lies on his couch and looks through his inward eyes, he can see these daffodils dancing in front of him.'Often in my couch I lie, 

in vacant  and pensive mood, they

flash upon that inward eye

Which is the bliss of solitude;

And then my heart with pleasure fills,

And dances with the daffodils'. Back in Hyderabad, I  can just close my eyes and see these scenes, the mountain breeze, the long winding river as it flows down the mountains, the Ganga in its different moods,a little laid back at some places, very volatile at some, gushing forth with all its energy  at another and often in a calm meditative mood, as it takes its long journey from the Himalayas down to the plains.














No comments: