Wednesday, March 11, 2020

Lecture, Ladies Club Hyderabad

 Today, I had a lecture in the Wednesday club a ladies club on Women's Status in India and there were about forty to forty five women from Hyderabad, who had retired from various jobs or who were home makers attending this. It was a very interesting experience for all these members, the number going to above one fifty in membership and they meet in some ones house and invite a speaker to discuss an issue. I met many elite women of Hyderabad. Met retired IAS officers who presented me her book and others came from different walks of life. I was told that this club was started by Ladies in ICRISAT and since Suresh worked here for thirty eight years, I had met many of them Mrs. Swindale, Mrs. Virmani .Mrs.Reddy in the early 1980's. Also met Ms.Asha Reddy with whom I had interacted at the Telengana History Congress and she and her husband Santosh Reddy, have donated their family home, the Mungala fort at Kodad near Surya pet for a Cultural Centre of Telangana with a focus on research in History. What I really liked about the programme was that at the end of it, I was felicitated with a bag. When, I opened it at home, I found a packet of Almonds and Cashew nuts in it. I thought to my self, only women can think like this. What a beautiful gesture and one that is so useful. We get hundreds of Momentoes at different places where we go, made of wood and all kind of material. Our drawing rooms are already so crowded and so are our offices that there is no space to keep these and yet we keep collecting these and accepting them for it would not be very polite to refuse these gestures of love by the organisers.  Here was such a reasonable gift for saying  thankyou. Indeed only a women's group can think of a gift like this one which will not be adding to the already crowded space.





No comments: