Friday, March 6, 2020

The Erasmus Scholar

 The Erasmus Scholar from Freier University and  Margherita von Brentano Center for Gender StudiesBerlin, Germany, Dr.Garcia Peter Sabina came to the Centre for Women's Studies and interacted with the students and various research scholars.This was her first visit to our University and India.She attended a class room  lecture of mine in the History Department and also discussed her experience of India and Germany with our students. I have sixty four students in a compulsory history course on, Medieval India that I am teaching this semester  to the second years and this batch of students are very bright, enthusiastic, noisy, and they ask a number of questions in between my lecture and at the end of it. I have to keep telling them in between please be quiet for suddenly if they want to share something with their friend next to them, they cannot wait for the class of an hour to end and they have to share it immediately. If one student is asking a question the others start talking amonst themselves and think this is their 'me time', and the conversation is between me and that individual student and it does not concern them and I have to remind them to pay attention to what is being duscussed. I think of them as school kids and have to keep repeating please be quiet and pay attention to what is happening at this moment. Sabina found this very interesting and said their students were far less in number and very quiet compared to our students. I told her that our optional courses had less number of students and they are more mature. This was our compulsory course and a second semester class and the students a  little immature but much too enthusiastic and eager to know many new things, get their many doubts cleared and very much involved in the course and I kind of like it. There will always be a group of students following me to my room after their class still discussing and talking and only rushing back when told that the next class has begun.







No comments: