Saturday, February 23, 2019

Central University of Kerala, Kasaragod inaugural address

 On 23rd Febryuary, 2019, I was at  Kasaragod, Central University of Kerala to give the inaugural address on Women's Rights a program organised by the Politcal Science and Public Administration Department . I also took a session on Violence against women. As usual it was fun to interact with the students who were so full of questions. With so many questions on the freedom of girls  and restrictions on their movements, the discussion reminded me of a time when our University in its earlier days was  making special rules  for the hostels and all the girls were agitating. Most of the discussion here focused on Women's entry into Sabarimala and the restrictions now being imposed by the University on girls hostels. I also met a history student from my University who is now working here and came to meet me. This is a new  and upcoming University. The program was well organised and they had a medical doctor too, to take a session on Women's health besides discussing about Human rights framework, Women's rights and the  CEDAW provisions. Thanks Asha Lekshmi for inviting me. A very well organised programme and like elsewhere you have such a good lot of students.












No comments: