Friday, February 8, 2019

South Indian History Congress, Osmania University

 The thirty ninth, South Indian History Congress is meeting in Osmania University from 8th to 10th February, 2019. This period is coinciding with the History Department at Osmania completing hundred years. It was  great to be here and meet so many of my old students from the 1980's and 1990's now working in different Universities and Colleges across South and other parts of India.  It was really nice to see all my old students introducing me to their students who are now working with them for their Ph. D. Lavanya and Aruna are now faculty in Osmania University and they were one of the organisers of the Congress. I met Harish Srinivas, Sandeep, Sasikant Das, Ramdhan, Ishwar, Vijay Laxmi, Srinivas, Raja and many many other students whom I have taught down the line. Three of my own students are presenting papers and I could attend a paper presented by Pavithra Molugu. Rizwan AHMAD, Akruti Suresh will be presenting their papers tomorrow. It is such a great feeling to be connected to your earlier students. I met Raja, who was my second Ph. D student, back then in late 1980's and now teaching in Annamalai University after ages. My daughter in law Nidhi Pande also attended the Congress with me and like any one seeing the arts College for the first time, she WAS awe struck and  fascinated with the building and its ambience.The Congress is well organised and I am indeed happy to see so many faces, friends from other Universities, young scholars, and my own students all teaching and reading history. I am very proud of the fact that seven of the students who did Ph D with me are working in different Universities across India and many others whom I taught in MA or who did  M. Phil with me are working in different colleges in South India and other parts of India.














No comments: