Sunday, September 16, 2018

In the Garhwal Himalayas.

As I cross Dehradun, Rishikesh and climb up the hills,on 16th September, 2018, towards the Hemvati Nandan Bahuguna University in Srinagar, my spirits soar for it is almost like going on a pilgrimage in the Himalayas. I ask the driver to switch off the AC and slide down the glass  window and put my face outside the window. I want to feel the crisp and fresh mountain air on my face. However, with in few minutes, I slide up the window and  ask the driver to switch on the AC  and sit in the comfort of the cool air inside for outside there  is so much dust in the air that one cannot even  breathe. Most of the mountain  route is covered with a lot of dust and rubble piled on both sides of the mountain. There is hardly any stretch of the mountain road that is not crowded with a variety of vehicles each and every one going about the daily business of life. It appears that both Nature and Humans have conspired to ravage the mountains. I see so many landslides on the way and even a lot of construction for broadening of  the roads. The seventies saw the Chipko movement in the Hills to save the Jungles and now we need another peoples movement to save the Himalayas. The Himalayas are a very fragile mountain range and the cutting of the mountains for such construction work will have an impact no doubt. The big question that looms before us is how do we balance development on one hand  and the protection of the echo system and environment on the other. How do we save our mountains and yet meet the aspiration of the people and bring in modern development. As I enter the University Guest House, I again feel happy for I can see the mountain range and the Ganges from my room. Indeed a very beautiful campus at Churas which is only one of the locations of this University.














No comments: