Friday, September 14, 2018

National Geological Research Institute(NGRI), in Hyderabad.

 On 14th September, 2018, I was invited as a Chief Guest for the conclusion of the Hindi Diwas at the National Geological Research Institute(NGRI), in Hyderabad. I was hesitant and did not accept the invitation for after 1984,I have hardly spoken in a public platforms in Hindi. The organisers persuaded me saying Madam every year we pick up a theme and this year it is on Gender and after a lot of hesitation and doubts, I accepted. Earlier, when I taught at Allahabad University from 1978 to 1981,it did not matter to me if the notes kept in front of me were in Hindi or English and I could speak for an hour in any language,  but after having come to Hyderabad in 1982,I hardly used Hindi for Public speaking. I feel sad that, I have lost this skill. Thanks to my short stint in Maulana Azad National Urdu University from 2005 to 2007,I started picking up the reigns of Hindi/Urdu, but after my deputation got over, I found myself back in Hyderabad University and never had a chance to address in Hindi. I am glad that I was persuaded to accept this and though I was a little nervous and anxious, I managed to speak in Hindi. May be the plus point was that this was in Hyderabad and I was not facing the Hindi belt. After this experiment which I think went on well for after a point language hardly matters and it is the subject knowledge and understanding that comes to the forefront, I  have now decided that I am going to find time, however scarce a commodity this may be, to go back and also read Hindi novels and books. It was nice to meet an old student of mine who passed on in 1991batch now working in the administration of NGRI.













No comments: